What Is The Teen Council?
Three Rivers Park District Teen Council serves as the voice for young people in our community as users and stewards. The Teen Council is a group of teens, ages 14-19, who collaborate with Park District staff on ideas and programs that will engage teens in the parks and supports the Park District’s vision to be inclusive and welcoming to our entire community. The council also provides teen perspective on Park District initiatives. Members of the Teen Council learn about all aspects of the Park District and collectively create a vision and goals that drive the Teen Council’s efforts for the year. The council will meet monthly on a weeknight, as well as participate in three longer full-day and/or overnight sessions.
Council Member Duties
- Commit to serving on the Teen Council for at least one year.
- Attend all monthly meetings and scheduled sessions.
- See the full-year calendar below.
- If you are unable to attend sessions, contact program facilitator, Seth Eberle.
- Act as leaders in the Park District to promote environmental stewardship.
- Work to plan and implement projects and objectives that the council decides on.
- Stay in communication with program facilitator and other Teen Council members as needed in between meetings.
- The method of communication between members will be determined as a council. Program facilitator Seth Eberle’s contact information is included below.
- Build partnerships between Three Rivers parks and program centers and with outside institutions as determined by the council.
- Willing to work independently and with direction to accomplish council goals.
- Listen to other council members’ ideas to make consensus decisions.
|Sept. 27-29, 2019||Overnight on 27th||Baker Park|
|Oct. 15, 2019||5-8 PM||TBD|
|Nov. 19, 2019||5-8 PM||TBD|
|Dec. 17, 2019||5-8 PM||TBD|
|Jan. 21, 2020||5-8 PM||TBD|
|Feb. 2, 2020||All Day||TBD|
|Feb. 18, 2020||5-8 PM||TBD|
|March 17, 2020||5-8 PM||TBD|
|April 21, 2020||5-8 PM||TBD|
|May 19, 2020||5-8 PM||TBD|
|June 16-17, 2020||Overnight||TBD|
All Teen Council members will be able to attend all-district teen volunteer fun days and receive a Three Rivers FUN Pass. Additionally, members can:
- Gain leadership and job skills in a natural resources-based park system
- Develop confidence and increase school performance
- Learn what jobs in the outdoors can look like
- Increase exposure to their local ecosystems
- Experience nature
- Provide an opportunity to meet other teens and make new friends
- Become comfortable in the outdoors
- Increase interest in science, nature, and the outdoors