Big Year of Birds
In 2022, we're celebrating birds all year long! For us at Three Rivers, it's about conservation and connection. Birds connect us to nature in our own backyards and can spark curiosity about the faraway places they migrate to and from. They can help us learn about ecosystems and more about the natural world, reminding us the importance of being good environmental stewards for these creatures and their habitats.
Join our trained naturalists and bird experts for activities of all kinds throughout the year: hikes, talks, art installations, special events, field trips, workshops and more await!
January–May | Lowry & Eastman
Come study wild song birds with us! See birds safely trapped and tagged, and learn about why we do it.
Ongoing | Multiple Locations
Search for migrators and other birds as you hike through the parks with a naturalist. Learn birding basics and how to identify some common birds.
Big Year of Birds Calendar
See the current list of programs and events for Big Year of Birds!
Join us for a Speaker Series all about birds! Learn from some of Minnesota's most prominent bird experts, twice a month. All sessions are free for all ages.
Register now for upcoming sessions. (Registration opens the third Wednesday of each month for the following month's programs.)
- Day: Every other Sunday, starting January 16, 2022
- Time: 2-3 PM
- Location: Silverwood Park (Visitor Center, Great Hall)
Topics & Speakers
- January 16: Bird Conservation and Introductions at Three Rivers
John Moriarty, Senior Wildlife Manager Three Rivers Park District
- January 30: Smartphone Birding
Sharon Stiteler, ‘The Bird Chick’
- February 13: Minnesota’s Breeding Bird Atlas, Changes Over 75 Years
Lee Pfannmuler, Author/Ornithologist
- February 27: Biography of T.S.Roberts, Historical Birding
Sue Leaf, Author
- March 13: Bird Photography
Siah St. Clair, Photographer
- March 27: Birds of Costa Rica — Our Birds/Their Birds
Carrol Henderson, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, retired