Your Shot: Amateur Photography Show & Contest
Show us how much you love the parks by submitting your photos of them for the Your Shot: Amateur Photo Show! All submissions will be displayed for a month at Eastman Nature Center. Visitors will vote for their favorites, and winners in the adult and youth categories will receive an award.
Submission deadline: Sunday, November 17 at 5 PM
Show opens: Sunday, November 24
Show closes: Tuesday, December 17 at 5 PM
Theme & Categories
This year's theme is Thankful for Parks.
Photos in any of the following categories may be submitted and are automatically eligible for the People's Choice Award in Adult or Youth (under 16) divisions:
Adult and youth (under 16) entries with the most votes win an award. In the past, prizes have included:
- Adult: one season recreation pass of your choice for a Three Rivers activity
- Youth: a pair of passes to the Elm Creek tubing hill or a merchandise gift card
- Amateur** photographers only.
- Photographs must be taken at a Three Rivers Park District site or feature scenery, vegetation, or wildlife that would normally be found in the parks.
- Other than cropping, photographs should not be modified in any way.
- Photographs must be smaller than 8.5” x 11” and at least 7” x 7”. Suggested size is 8” x 10”. All styles (glossy, matte, black and white, color) are accepted and do not need to be printed professionally.
- Photographs should not be matted or framed.
- Entrants must complete an entry form when submitting their photographs plus a separate label for each photo entry. Please check "adult" or "youth" on the label. There is a limit of three photos per person.
- Photographs featuring domestic animals, garden plants and annual flowers are not eligible in the Wildlife and Plant categories.
- Landscapes and Seasons photographs may have contemporary, human-made objects (i.e. bridges, buildings, fences) or domestic animals, but they must not be the main focus of the picture.
- Photographs from any theme category (Wildlife, Plants and Fungi, Landscapes, Seasons, and Recreation) are equally eligible for the People’s Choice Award.
- Submitted photographs may be used, with photo credit, in publications and displays used by Three Rivers Park District throughout the Twin Cities area, unless otherwise noted on the entry form.
- This contest is for fun and prizes are modest.
- Entries may be picked up starting Thursday, December 19. Any prints not picked up by Monday, January 6 will become the property of Three Rivers Park District.
- Three Rivers Park District is not responsible for any damage that occurs to photo entries.
- Three Rivers Park District employees and immediate family members are not allowed to enter.
*Photos are mounted in plexiglass holders in the exhibit area on a first-come, first-served basis. Additional photos may be displayed in classrooms temporarily. After the Photography Show Opening, photos with higher vote counts are given priority display space.
**An amateur photographer is anyone who does not earn a significant amount of money as a photographer. We realize some amateur photographers have professional skills. Please use discretion in deciding if you should enter this contest. As a guideline, if you earn over $1,000 a year in photographic sales, you should not consider yourself an amateur for purposes of this contest.
Fees and How to Submit
Submit by Mail or In Person
Deliver or mail entries with the fee and entry form with completed labels to:
Eastman Nature Center
Attn: Photo Show
13351 Elm Creek Road
Osseo, MN 55369
The building is open Monday-Saturday from 9 AM-5 PM and Sunday from noon-5 PM.
$5/photo ($2 entry fee plus $3 for printing/handling)
1. Submit your payment
- Call 763.694.7700 during building hours to make a credit card payment.
- Confirm your correct email address and ask for an emailed receipt (necessary for step 3).
Eastman Nature Center is open Monday-Saturday from 9 AM-5 PM and Sunday from noon-5 PM.
2. Prepare your photos
- Select up to three unmodified digital images (OK to crop/zoom).
- Please rename your digital file(s) in this format if possible:
- LASTNAME FIRSTINITIAL 2019 2-3 short, descriptive words
- Example: DOE J 2019 Pretty Rock
- If you CANNOT rename your file, please complete the title on the entry form in this format for each image to make it easier for us to correctly label after download.
3. Submit your entry
- Find your emailed payment receipt (from firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Forward the message, with receipt attached, to EastmanNC@threeriversparks.org.
- Attach your digital image(s) and a completed entry form with labels.