Thankful for Parks: Amateur Photography Show & Contest
All photos tell a story. Whether you are a child taking a photo for a first time, a hiker using your phone camera, or a lifelong photographer, we want to see the parks through your lens!
Show us how much you love the parks by submitting your photos of them for the Thankful for Parks: Amateur Photography Show! All submissions will be displayed for a month in the outside windows of Eastman Nature Center. Each photograph (maximum 3/person) will be entered into a random prize drawing for adult and youth divisions.
Submission deadline: Monday, Nov. 16, 2020 at Noon
Show opens: Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020
Show closes: Monday, Dec. 21, 2020
Share how nature and being outdoors has inspired or soothed you. Photos will be organized into the following categories:
- Recreation & Community
- Plants and Fungi
Each photo submitted (maximum 3 per person) is one entry for the prize drawing in either the Adult or Youth (under 18) divisions.
- Adult: One season recreation pass of your choice for a Three Rivers activity
- Youth: To be determined
Informal polls for a "People's Choice" favorite will take place during the Photography Show Opening at Eastman on Nov. 25 and online throughout the month. No tangible prizes will be awarded, but recognition will be given.
- Amateur* photographers only.
- Photographs must be taken at a Three Rivers Park District site or feature scenery, vegetation, or wildlife that would normally be found in the parks.
- Other than cropping, photographs should not be modified in any way.
- All photos must be submitted as a digital file.
- Entrants must complete an entry form when submitting their photographs. There is a limit of three photos per person.
- Photographs featuring domestic animals, garden plants and annual flowers are not eligible in the Wildlife and Plant categories.
- Landscapes and Seasons photographs may have contemporary, human-made objects (i.e. bridges, buildings, fences) or domestic animals, but they must not be the main focus of the picture.
- Photographs submitted in the Recreation/Community category should feature outdoor activities and Three Rivers sites.
- All photographs are equally eligible and count as one entry for the random prize drawing in either the youth (under 18) or adult divisions.
- Submitted photographs may be used, with photo credit, in publications and displays used by Three Rivers Park District throughout the Twin Cities area, unless otherwise noted on the entry form.
- This contest is for fun and prizes are modest.
- All entries will be printed by the Park District and become the property of Three Rivers Park District. If you mark "no" to marketing use on your entry form, the print will be destroyed following the contest.
- Three Rivers Park District employees and immediate family members are not allowed to enter.
*An amateur photographer is anyone who does not earn a significant amount of money as a photographer. We realize some amateur photographers have professional skills. Please use discretion in deciding if you should enter this contest. As a guideline, if you earn over $1,000 a year in photographic sales, you should not consider yourself an amateur for purposes of this contest.
Fees and How to Submit
$5/photo ($2 entry fee plus $3 for printing/handling)
1. Submit your payment
- Call 763.694.7700 to make a credit card payment. Eastman Nature Center is closed, but staff may be available to take your call during parts of most weekdays and some weekends. If you don't reach us, leave a message with the best number to reach you at.
- Confirm your correct email address and ask for an emailed receipt (necessary for step 3).
2. Prepare your photos
- Select up to three unmodified digital images (OK to crop/zoom).
- Please rename your digital file(s) in this format if possible:
- LASTNAME FIRSTINITIAL 2020 2-3 short, descriptive words
- Example: DOE J 2019 Pretty Rock
- If you CANNOT rename your file, please complete the title on the entry form in this format for each image to make it easier for us to correctly label after download.