Thankful for Parks: Amateur Photography Show & Contest
All photos tell a story. Whether you are a child taking a photo for a first time, a hiker using your phone camera, or a lifelong photographer, we want to see the parks through your lens!
Show us how much you love the parks by submitting your photos of them for the Thankful for Parks: Amateur Photography Show! All submissions will be displayed for a month at Eastman Nature Center. Additionally, a portion of the photographs will be honored as part of a second display at Lowry Nature Center in the new year and all will have a chance at winning a prize as described below.
- Submission deadline: Monday, November 7, 2022
- Show opens: Sunday, November 20, 2022
- Show closes: Monday, December 19, 2022
Share how nature and being outdoors has inspired or soothed you. Photos will be organized into the following categories:
- Recreation and Community
- Birds (special category in honor of the Big Year of Birds)
- Other Wildlife
- Plants and Fungi
Ballots for the People's Favorite Award will be available at Eastman Nature Center. Visitors can submit their ballot any time for the duration of the photography show. Results will be tallied when the show is over and announced before the end of the year. Winners in both the Adult and Youth divisions will receive a prize as described below.
Each photo submitted (maximum 3 per person) is also one entry for the random prize drawing to win in either the Adult or Youth (under 18) divisions.
- Adult: One seasonal recreation pass of your choice for a Three Rivers activity
- Youth: Choice of one activity at both Eastman Nature Center and Lowry Nature Center:
- free rental of the outdoor classroom and fire pit
- four free passes for snowshoe rentals
- four free passes for kicksled rental (Lowry only)
People's Favorite Award winners plus top Favorites in each submission category will remain on display at Eastman until the end of December, then be honored as a traveling exhibit at Lowry Nature Center in the new year.
- Amateur* photographers only.
- There is a limit of three photos per person. See submission information below.
- All photos must be submitted by email as a digital file after registration.
- Photographs must be taken at any Three Rivers Park District site or feature scenery, vegetation, wildlife or activities that would normally be found in the parks.
- Photos may not be digitally altered beyond standard optimization. Alterations such as cropping or reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast are acceptable, but all photographs must accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared.
- Photographs featuring domestic animals, garden plants and annual flowers are not eligible in the Birds, Other Wildlife and Plants/Fungi categories.
- Landscapes photographs may have contemporary, human-made objects (i.e. bridges, buildings, fences) or domestic plants or animals but they must not be the main focus of the picture.
- Photographs submitted in the Recreation/Community category should feature outdoor activities and Three Rivers sites.
- All photographs are equally eligible and count as one entry for the random prize drawing and one entry for the People’s Favorite Award in either the Youth (under 18) or Adult divisions.
- Submitted photographs may be used, with photo credit, in publications and displays used by Three Rivers Park District throughout the Twin Cities area, unless otherwise noted on the entry form.
- This contest is for fun and prizes are modest.
- All entries will be printed by the Park District and become the property of Three Rivers Park District. If you mark “no” to marketing use on your entry form, the print will be destroyed following the contest.
- Three Rivers Park District employees and immediate family members are ineligible to enter.
*An amateur photographer is anyone who does not earn a significant amount of money as a photographer. We realize some amateur photographers have professional skills. Please use discretion in deciding if you should enter this contest. As a guideline, if you earn over $1,000 a year in photographic sales, you should not consider yourself an amateur for purposes of this contest.
Fees and How to Submit
1. Prepare your photos.
- Select up to three unmodified digital images (OK to crop/clean, adjust minimally).
- Rename your digital file in this format:
LASTNAME FIRSTINITIAL 2022 2-3 short, descriptive words
(Example: DOE J 2022 Pretty Rock)
- If you cannot rename your file, please list the title using this format in the body of your submission email and during registration.
2. Register and submit your payment.
- The submission fee is $5 per photo ($2 entry fee plus $3 for printing/handling).
- Register and pay now.
- Note: You must pay through a household account. For help creating your account or for related questions, please call Reservations at 763-559-6700.
3. Submit your entry.
- Start an email to EastmanNC@threeriversparks.org with the subject "Photo Show Entry".
- Attach your digital image(s). (If you were unable to rename the photo file, share the properly formatted title of each photograph within the body of the email.)
- Include your payment receipt number in the body of your email, found in your emailed confirmation.
- Send before noon on Monday, November 7.